qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Disk integrity in QEMU

From: Aurelien Jarno
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Disk integrity in QEMU
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:11:57 +0200

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 12:00:41PM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:

[snip]

> So to summarize, I think we should enable O_DSYNC by default to ensure
> that guest data integrity is not dependent on the host OS, and that
> practically speaking, cache=off is only useful for very specialized
> circumstances.  Part of the patch I'll follow up with includes changes
> to the man page to document all of this for users.
>
> Thoughts?

While I agree O_DSYNC should be the defaults, I wonder if we should keep
the current behaviour available for those who want it. We can imagine
the following options:
  cache=off     O_DIRECT
  cache=read    O_DSYNC         (default)
  cache=on      0

--
  .''`.  Aurelien Jarno             | GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
 `. `'   address@hidden         | address@hidden