qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Disk integrity in QEMU

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Disk integrity in QEMU
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 07:26:00 -0500

Aurelien Jarno wrote:
On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 12:00:41PM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:

[snip]

So to summarize, I think we should enable O_DSYNC by default to ensure that guest data integrity is not dependent on the host OS, and that practically speaking, cache=off is only useful for very specialized circumstances. Part of the patch I'll follow up with includes changes to the man page to document all of this for users.

Thoughts?

While I agree O_DSYNC should be the defaults, I wonder if we should keep
the current behaviour available for those who want it. We can imagine
the following options:
  cache=off     O_DIRECT
  cache=read    O_DSYNC         (default)

Or maybe cache=off, cache=on, cache=wb. So that the default was cache=on which is write-through, or the user can choose write-back caching.

But that said, I'm concerned that this is far too confusing for users. I don't think anyone is relying on disk write performance when in write-back mode simply because the guest already has a page cache so writes are already being completed instantaneously from the application's perspective.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori
  cache=on      0