qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Disk integrity in QEMU

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Disk integrity in QEMU
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 12:54:35 -0500

Mark Wagner wrote:

I do not believe that this means that the data is still sitting in the
host cache.  I realize it may not yet be on a disk, but, at a minimum,
I would expect that is has been sent to the storage controller.  Do you
consider the hosts cache to be part of the storage subsystem ?

Yes. And the storage subsystem is often complicated like this. Consider if you had a hardware iSCSI initiator. The host just sees a SCSI disk and when the writes are issued as completed, that simply means the writes have gone to the iSCSI server. The iSCSI server may have its own cache or some deep storage multi-level cached storage subsystem.

The fact that the virtualization layer has a cache is really not that unusual.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori