qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] tcg problem running SPARC program on x86

From: rob1weld
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] tcg problem running SPARC program on x86
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 16:24:40 -0400

When I run the current trunk (revision 5478) with "/usr/local/bin/qemu-system-mips -cpu 24Kc -M malta ..." I get a
similar error (calls tcg_abort() ) to the one described by Vince:

/build/qemu/trunk/tcg/tcg.c:1484: tcg fatal error
Aborted

If I use exactly the same command but use the "Lenny Debian GNU/Linux's repository version" of qemu-system-mips (version 0.9.1-6) the error does not occur. Thus, this error is occurring on the MIPS platform (host x86) as well as the SPARC.

Rob
On 8/19/08, Blue Swirl <address@hidden> wrote:
On 8/18/08, Vince Weaver <address@hidden> wrote:
 > Hello
 >
> I'm continuing on my quest to get the SPEC2000 benchmarks running
under
 > sparc32-linux-user (so far 8 out of 48 work).
 >
 >  Many of the benchmarks die early on with the following error:
 >
> /fusion/research4/vince/qemu/svn/tcg/tcg.c:1455: tcg fatal
error

> This error is caused when tcg_reg_alloc_mov() is called but
ts->val_type
 >  is equal to 0 (which is TEMP_VAL_DEAD). So maybe the optimizer is
 > optimizing away something that it shouldn't?
 >
 >  This happens in a block with multiple calls to the SPARC "mulscc"
> instruction which is a complicated instruction, so maybe this is
finding an
 > obscure corner case.
 >
> I've attached a very small sample program that exhibits the bug
when run
 > with ./sparc32-linux-user/qemu-sparc32plus

Okay, I can finally reproduce this. Strangely it does not occur if -d
 flag is used and "op" is one of the log items. I have to check if
 older reports where I could not reproduce the bug were suffering from
 the same problem.

 But I haven't found any fix yet.

I have isolated the problem to andi op. The attached patch makes the
bug go away by disabling the offending andi, but it's of course not a
real fix. Why andi fails with op flag enabled, I have no idea.