qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VNC Password

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VNC Password
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:47:55 +0100

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 01:24:38PM +0300, Volkan YAZICI wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use "-monitor stdio -vnc localhost:1" arguments to start qemu from
> command line and connect to the related qemu instance using a vnc
> viewer. Despite I know it's possible to use something like "-vnc
> localhost:1,password=foo", I don't want to type password in the command
> line. (Neither using "change vnc password" in the qemu command line is
> very practical when you're starting related qemu instance as a daemon.)
> How can I make vnc read password from a file?

If you want daemonized instances, and wish to use the monitor, then
rather than using '-monitor stdio', it'd be better to have it connect
to something like a UNIX socket, eg

   -monitor unix:/var/run/qemu/mysock,server -vnc localhost:1,password

Then, you can have a simple command line tool to send & receive
individual monitor commands via that socket.

> BTW, is vnc option poorly documented or I'm missing something? I checked
> this[1] and this[2] but none supplied a useful information.
> Documentation pointers are welcome too.
>

> Regards.
>
> [1] http://bellard.org/qemu/qemu-doc.html

Take a look at