qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Live migration - exec: support to be reintroduced?

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Live migration - exec: support to be reintroduced?
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 08:14:01 -0600

Avi Kivity wrote:
Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
We used it to implement save-to-file, exec'ing 'dd'. I'd rather prefer
that we had a more explicit 'migrate to a file' capability rather than
the hack of execing dd.

(qemu) acceptfd blah
receives an file descriptor from the monitor using SCM_RIGHTS and assigns it to the tag 'blah'
(qemu) migrate fd:blah
migrates to the fd denominated by the tag 'blah'
(qemu) closefd blah

This could be generally useful for other things too (like char device redirection).

I'm not sure how many people would really use it though, you're talking about serious unix-fu here.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

You can use literal numbers instead of tags to refer to file descriptors inherited from the environment:

(qemu) migrate fd:17