qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] bug writing pidfile under unix (and fix)

From: Jim Bailey
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] bug writing pidfile under unix (and fix)
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 18:08:42 +0000

Hi Paul,

Opening with O_TRUNC causes a problem. If you try and start qemu again
(by accident presumably) it opens the pidfile and then fails to acquire
a lock on it. It then exits with a useful message "Could not acquire
pidfile" and you know that is has just saved you from trashing your
images.

If we open the file with O_TRUNC the contents get discarded before the
lock is checked, so although a second instance wouldn't run, it would
still leave you with an empty pidfile for your still-running first
instance.

I hope that makes sense.

Removing the file on exit would also be a great feature.

dgym