qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] tracing memory accesses

From: Màrius Montón
Subject: [Qemu-devel] tracing memory accesses
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:01:45 +0100

Hello,

I've been working for a while adding SystemC capabilities to QEMU (in short,
SystemC is a C++ extension to describe HW and we are using it to add new
peripherals to QEMU)
(http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=4374971)

Now it's time to move a whole system to a SystemC described one but the CPU. My
plan is to use QEMU CPU emulation and substitute all peripherals by its SystemC
description and communicate using any sort of bus in SystemC too.

So I need to capture all memory accesses from CPU to Memory. I've been looking
at code, and I can see that ldq_phys, ldl_phys (in exec.c) are used to load from
memory to CPU, but I'm not able to see what functions are used to manage stores
from CPU to memory. I can see some equivalent functions called
stl_phys_notdirty and stl_phys, but they never used (I'm focused in ARM
platforms).

Do you have any hint about that? Do you think managing these functions is
enough to capture all data moving from CPU to RAM?

Thank you!

Màrius

P.S.: I noticed that Argos did similar work, but since they are focused on a
very different target, this work should be started from scratch.