qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Machine config files

From: Paul Brook
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Machine config files
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 03:32:13 +0000

It's come up in other contexts recently, so I think it's worth mentioning that
I am currently working on adding a machine config file support to qemu.

I am focusing on the board setup side of things, rather than the user-level
config side.  My goal is to come up with a system that will allow e.g. the
entirety of realview.c and gumstix.c to be eliminated.  Currently this is
based this round Flattened Device Trees (as used by ppc-linux).

I have looked at the bits that Fabrice did a while ago. While that contains
some good ideas (which I will probably steal!) it is approaching the problem
from a somewhat different direction.  FTDs are a much better fit for some of
my requirements (e.g. being able to pass the config through to the guest OS).

I haven't entirely figured out how this will interact with user config (in
particular user-pluggable devices like PCI NICs), but I think I can come up
with something fairly sensible.

The code isn't even close to being functional at this point, and I can't give
definite timescales, but with a bit of luck I'll have something by the end of
the year.

Paul