qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Machine config files

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Machine config files
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 14:11:32 -0600

Hollis Blanchard wrote:
We do; PLB, OPB, and EBC are all on-chip busses found on IBM PowerPC SoCs. For example, you can see devices representing the UARTs and PCI controller in our bamboo.dts file. Qemu only modifies the device tree at runtime with information not known until then (memory size, clock frequency, etc).

Yes, but you don't build the machine based on the device tree. What would be useful would be to be able to simply write a device tree description and that would fully represent the board such that you didn't need a ppc440_bamboo.c file at all.

So what I'm getting at is, what is preventing us from being able to do this today?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori