qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] atapi on ppc issue (was Re: qemu-system-ppc broken ?)

From: Shin-ichiro KAWASAKI
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] atapi on ppc issue (was Re: qemu-system-ppc broken ?)
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 00:13:08 +0900

Blue Swirl wrote:
With the attached hack I'm able to boot
debian-40r5-powerpc-businesscard.iso, though it hangs after:
Calling quiesce ...
returning from prom_init

The same happens with 0.8.2, so I think Qemu is in a way "correct".
Now all I need to do is to find a nice OS that really can be
installed. Any suggestions?

I tried debian-31r8-powerpc-binary-1.iso.  Even though it can't
complete installation, it can go farther.  It's available here.

http://riksun.riken.go.jp/pub/pub/Linux/debian/debian-cdimage/archive/3.1_r8/powerpc/iso-cd/

Don't forget to choose 2.4 kernel installation menu on the boot prompt,
because 2.6 kernel seems to fail to boot.  Rene's patch might solve it.
The menu 'expert-2.4' worked for me.
It took half an hour to complete installation, but rebooting
from HDD fails.  Yaboot dumps something like configuration file and
says 'Unable to load boot file'.  Does anyone have suggestions to
solve this problem?

I tried debian-31r8-powerpc-businesscard.iso, also.  It requires
ftp site to download packages for network installation. But
there exists no site for debian-3x and installation fails.

I hope this report help works on ppc.

Regards,
Shin-ichiro KAWASAKI