qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Modular qemu?

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Modular qemu?
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 09:25:05 -0600

Laurent Desnogues wrote:
On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> wrote:
With respect to the various forks of QEMU, I believe the real problem is
that historically, people have had a tough time getting changes into QEMU.
 This is not just a matter of getting patches accepted, but also getting the
appropriate guidance about how to refactor things to take into account all
of the various architecture combinations that QEMU supports and some of the
longer term efforts.

I hope this situation is improving.  If people have feedback in how things
could be improved, I think everyone is eager to here it.  Plugins are not
the solution though.

Sorry to say, but many forks are linux-user ones and qemu has no
maintainer for that.  This might become even worse in the future
with, for instance, Nokia using qemu linux-user for the SDK of their
upcoming OMAP3 based tablet.

Yeah, I understand that the linux-user stuff is currently unmaintained. Just appointing someone is really the right approach either. With the kernel.org git mirror, it would be relatively easy for someone to maintain a linux-user tree.

If someone were to do that, they could post pull requests. I think it's then natural to promote the maintainer of such a tree to an official maintainer.

It just requires someone willing to put in the time. git is not the only option, just maintaining a patch queue for linux-user would be a good start too.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Laurent