qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Modular qemu?

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Modular qemu?
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 21:02:30 +0200

Thiemo Seufer wrote:
What about non-plugin dlopen()? Right now building qemu (with all options enabled) requires a large amount of libraries, hence a lot of dependencies. For example, a server setup that will only be used with -vnc needs to have SDL installed. This will only get worse with opengl support.

I'm thinking of something similar to linux kernel modules: no backward compatible ABI, simply load-on-demand functionality that can be packaged separately to reduce dependencies. With kvm integrated, we could even make the cpu emulator an optional loadable module.

What problem would this solve?

You build qemu once, but with separate sub-packages:

 qemu
 qemu-sdl
 qemu-vnc
 qemu-tcg
 qemu-kvm

On a desktop deployment, you install qemu, qemu-kvm, qemu-tcg, and qemu-sdl (which pulls a bunch of dependencies). On a server deployment, you install qemu, qemu-vnc, and qemu-kvm (which avoids dependencies and the tcg code which is not useful on a server). This allows a distribution to only maintain and support one qemu binary for different deployment scenarios.

We might even make the various targets loadable modules, so you have a single binary which supports a bunch of targets. This is more difficult due to the large numbers of #defines, but is doable.

signature is too narrow to contain.