qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Replace posix-aio with custom thread pool

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Replace posix-aio with custom thread pool
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 08:24:28 -0600

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 12:54:21PM +0100, Jens Axboe wrote:
In the meantime I think it'd be better to -EINVAL (so the userland
thread can fallback to userland thread pool) instead of just behaving
synchronously that can break GUI and interactive behavior...

Yes, IMHO, this is the major problem with the current state of linux-aio. I really don't want to expose an aio= flag for users to configure. I'd rather just do the Right Thing automatically.

I added CLONE_IO some time ago to avoid that, so it's perfectly possible
to share cfq io contexts with threads or processes even in userspace!

It's available in recent kernels I see! so the fix is easy. Only
problem is how to pass CLONE_IO to pthread_create... We'll have to
make a linux-only change and call clone by hand under some #ifdef
CLONE_IO.

I have no problem with this and I believe Chris was going to attempt an implementation.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori