qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] My bad! weird non-committal of writes under Vista 32

From: Shaddy Baddah
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] My bad! weird non-committal of writes under Vista 32
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 22:59:04 +1100

Hi,

Shaddy Baddah wrote:
The problem I am having is that any changes I make to the guest ext3
filesystem are not committed between cycles of the its guest OS. Now, I
recall having this problem on a Linux host of a Windows XP guest, and in
that case it was because I hadn't noticed that I had no write access to
the device.

First, can someone confirm that qemu would continue to operate even if
denied write access to one of the drives?
Obviously yes. The problem appears to be that I had setup a permanent mount using ext2fsd on the partition in question. To qemu, everything appears normal (it is not being denied write access to the disk). The bigger problem is that it seems Windows just drops all the writes when another process has a hold of the disk. The safety aspect of this is desirable, but it would have been nice to have had some indication of this (even if it was deny write access to qemu, so that it looked like a read-only disk).

Second, is anyone familiar with why on this Vista 32 host, I would not
have write privileges? If that is even why I am having the problem in
the first place.

Question is redundant. It's not an OS issue. Sorry for any confusion caused.

Regards,
Shaddy