qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: gdbstub: packet reply is too long

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: gdbstub: packet reply is too long
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 22:22:18 +0100

Paul Brook wrote:
>>> I still maintain that making the g packet format depend on the current
>>> CPU more is absolutely the wrong way to fix this.
>> From a higher perspective, it is surely not the cleanest approach. But
>> it still appears to be the only one which helps us working around this
>> gdb shortcoming.
>
> Actually it isn't. You could add an explicit switch.

And what would this buy us? I would have to go from your gdb terminal to
qemu, probably the monitor, just to switch manually what now happens
automatically. I don't see the case where you wouldn't want to switch
when you try to debug 16 or 32 bit code, so what would be the gain? Or
do you want some switch to disable this automatic register format switching?

Jan