qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Merging improvements from VirtualBox OSE into qemu?

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Merging improvements from VirtualBox OSE into qemu?
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 09:06:14 +0200

Liraz Siri wrote:
I don't really understand the implementation VirtualBox uses to
accomplish running 64bit VM guests on a 32bit host. Is it possible
VirtualBox have figured out how to run 64bit instructions on a host
running in 32bit mode? (otherwise they'll need to be doing some kind of
emulation)

There's nothing magical about it. Most likely they switch to 64-bit mode immediately before entering the guest, and switch back immediately after the guest exits. In effect their turning the host OS into a hybrid 32/64 bit kernel (with the vast majority of the code remaining 32-bits).

signature is too narrow to contain.