qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] qcow1 compression

From: Ulrich Hecht
Subject: [Qemu-devel] qcow1 compression
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 18:24:39 +0100

Hi!

I have received a bug report from one of our users about compression in
qcow(1). He converted disk images to qcow with compression, and the
resulting images did not work. I looked into block-qcow.c and found
several huge and, as it seems, long-standing bugs. For instance,
QCOW_OFLAG_COMPRESSED is never set anywhere, causing compressed data to
be returned verbatim on reading.

I'd like to get people's opinion on whether there is any point in fixing
this stuff, considering that there is qcow2, and that it never worked to
begin with. Perhaps a patch removing it would make more sense...

CU
Uli