qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu: block.c: introducing "fmt:FMT:" prefix to image-f

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu: block.c: introducing "fmt:FMT:" prefix to image-filenames
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 00:15:18 +0000

Anthony Liguori wrote:
> >Just because I hate hidden "some filenames work, some filenames break
> >mysteriously, and of course it's not documented" dodgy hacks.
> >

> I'm pretty certain that you couldn't do that today in QEMU.  The colon
> has always been used for protocol checking and if the protocol is
> invalid, I think we throw an error.

That sounds like a prime example of "some filenames break today
already and of course it's not documented" :-)

My own kvm/qemu management scripts create symlinks to the disk images
and pass the symlink names to kvm/qemu instead of the real names for
this reason...  And also because what you can enter in the monitor
"change" command isn't quite the same as what you can put on the
command line.

-- Jamie