qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Ongoing changes to the displaying code

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Ongoing changes to the displaying code
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 13:02:36 -0600

David Turner wrote:

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 6:16 PM, Ian Jackson <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    I think it's fair enough for people to prefer SDL to VNC for a number
    of reasons.  But why not just allow them to embed the qemu SDL window
    in their application ?  This is definitely possible in X although I'm
    not sure exactly how to do it with SDL.

to be fair, that might not be an ideal solution. QEMU emulation currently requires frequent SIGALRM signals. this means the application will not be able to use it for its own needs, and a *lot* of system calls are going to randomly return EINTR, which a *lot* of code doesn't handle properly (*cough* *cough* libesd.so)

Not to mention the fact that if you block too long or have long running computations, you'll cause great amounts of pain to the guest. You also can't use main loops which makes gui integration pretty difficult.

It's really a bad environment for GUIs. I understand the lack of desire to rewrite working code, but external GUIs are really the best technical solution for QEMU.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

    Ian.