qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu: block.c: introducing "fmt:FMT:" prefix to image-f

From: Uri Lublin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu: block.c: introducing "fmt:FMT:" prefix to image-filenames
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 22:42:58 +0200

Kevin Wolf wrote:
Jamie Lokier schrieb:
Uri Lublin wrote:
Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
Yes the format you write into the qcow2 header can still use the fmt:qcow2: prefix - just no need to expose that particular qcow2 specific implementation detail on the CLI.
OK. I'll prepare a patch that adds '-F fmt' to 'qemu-img create -b ...'
Will it break backing files whose filename begins with "fmt:"?

Just because I hate hidden "some filenames work, some filenames break
mysteriously, and of course it's not documented" dodgy hacks.

Uri, now that you are making the change in qcow2 instead of block.c,
have you thought about using the earlier suggested "filename.img\0qcow2"
hack? This shouldn't break filenames.

Hi Kevin,

1. The change is still in block.c, as the backing file is opened in bdrv_open2(), and also we must support raw format as a backing_file format (and basically any format). 2. I thought everyone agreed that "filename.img\0qcow2" would work, but that we should try a different solution. 3. This patch does not make things worse (with regards to "unsupported filename"). Without it too, qemu will refuse to run a filename that begins with "fmt:"

Thanks,
    Uri.