qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Machine-readable or parseable qemu output

From: Richard W.M. Jones
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Machine-readable or parseable qemu output
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 11:29:38 +0000

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 04:40:05PM +0530, Amit Shah wrote:
> - Have a libqemumonitor.so that will abstract out output from qemu and
>   provide a machine-readble output for the consumer

Why do we need a C API at all?  IMHO it'd be better just to make the
existing qemu monitor output more machine-friendly, meaning consistent
delimiters so that programs can reliably resynchronize with the
output, and consistent guarantees on error messages.

[Replying to Dan's point about qemu >= 0.8]

We could differentiate based on the qemu prompt.  For "machine-
friendly" releases of qemu, change the prompt slightly so we know.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/