qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [6324] Return -errno on write failure (Gleb Natapov)

From: François Revol
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [6324] Return -errno on write failure (Gleb Natapov)
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 19:36:25 +0100 CET

> François Revol writes ("Re: [Qemu-devel] [6324] Return -errno on
> write failure (Gleb Natapov)"):
> > Nooooooooooo
> > Please do not this bad broken Unix habit!
>
> Whatever you think of this, it's not a `Unix habit'.
> Both C89 and C99 require the system's errno values to be positive.
>    ... the value of which is set to a positive error number by
>        several library functions
>
> So BeOS is not ANSI C !

And so, well, what ?
It won't change any time soon.
Besides, there is no reason a language stantard should dictate such a
runtime thing...
And for what I've seen from it, it's not consistent with itself, saying
non-zero on a line, positive on the next one.

Btw, was it available freely at the time ? I mean don't expect people
to comply with something you have to pay for. That's what you get.
(hint, POSIX drafts)

It's not like any other OS I've seen doesn't violate some standard.

Still, everything has been fine for a decade and suddenly people start
doing this kind of tricks out of the blue. It's not like considering
errno can be !=0 is orthogonal to the standard, so supporting BeOS
itself would't make the code itself violate ANSI C.

François.