qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [6324] Return -errno on write failure (Gleb Natapov)

From: François Revol
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [6324] Return -errno on write failure (Gleb Natapov)
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 20:17:47 +0100 CET

> If a full set of patches was posted that to QEMU that made the latest
> SVN compile on BeOS with a free compiler, I would think we would
> evaluate them and determine how intrusive the changes were compared
> the value of supporting BeOS and apply them if appropriate.  Avoiding
> -errno, IMHO, is a fair trade off to support another platform even if
> there is a niche user base.

I don't have time to do it right away, but it's on my list.

> That said, such patches have not been posted.  I don't think it's
> wise
> to get into a habit of avoiding things because some random platform
> that
> QEMU doesn't support today doesn't support said feature.

There is a BeOS port already.
I just think noone noticed this issue so it wasn't concerned by the
patches, but there are patches.
I have an old one around but I don't even recall what it fixes:
http://revolf.free.fr/beos/patches/qemu-0.7.1.beos.patch.001.txt

The maintainer of our port didn't submit patches because he was too
busy to clean it up AFAIK.
I'm not even sure it'd still build on BeOS, but that'd certainly help
building in Haiku.

> So I'm not inclined to change code that conforms to ANSI unless
> someone
> puts the work into supporting BeOS in mainline QEMU and that said
> work
> doesn't require very invasive changes.

As per other ports, it's not invasive it's just a large diff and it's
fastidious to make sure each and every occurence is fixed.
something like:
http://revolf.free.fr/beos/patches/ffmpeg_beos_cleanup.002.diff
or
http://revolf.free.fr/beos/patches/oss-hg-365-beos.diff.txt