qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Add Intel VT support to QEMU?

From: Alexander Graf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Add Intel VT support to QEMU?
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 00:28:15 +0100

On 18.01.2009, at 19:33, Jason Martens wrote:

Hello Everyone
 I'm a part of a school group, and we are looking at adding Intel VT
support to QEMU for a class project.  We would be implementing support
for VT guests, so that other VMMs that rely on VT could be run/ debugged
using QEMU.  We are not familiar with QEMU code (yet!), so we are
looking for some feedback from all of you experts.

Now that's good news :-). I would really love to see this implemented.

1. Has this been attempted before, or is there any existing code for
this? I saw some posts about a year ago that perhaps someone started on
it, but nothing after that.

Well - yes and no. I implemented SVM emulation support quite some time ago, so you can base on that. It should be possible to reuse some of that logic and the basic approach is the same anyways.

2. What would be required to implement this?  Any suggestions on where
to start looking would be appreciated. Obviously, the Intel VT docs are
going to be necessary.  Are there other things that you recommend we
look at before we start?

If I were you I'd start with the instructions themselves. Look through the docs and see what each instruction does. Implement the easy ones first (VMXON and the CR4 bit), then go forward to VMENTER and implement the world switch. As soon as you are running code fine in the guest (check using -d in_asm,cpu) you can try and go for intercepts.

By the time you have these working, you should be pretty much done.

Good luck!

Alex