qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] User mode issue for loading 32-bit ELF on 64-bit guest

From: Laurent Desnogues
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] User mode issue for loading 32-bit ELF on 64-bit guest processor
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 08:06:42 +0100

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 6:40 AM, Paul Brook <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Blue Swirl proposed to use accessors for these structures
>> while I proposed to use a new abi_ulong-like type that would
>> be the same no matter whether TARGET_ABI32 is defined or
>> not.  As I am not sure there aren't some other structures that
>> would need such a type, I think my proposal is less intrusive.
>> The drawback is that it would introduce a new type and we
>> already have many such *_ulong types :-)
>
> I'm confused. Isn't this either target_ulong or abi_ulong?
> I don't see what other possibilities there are.

Indeed these *_ulong types can be confusing especially in
that case where elfload32.c sets TARGET_ABI32 before
including elfload.c which includes qemu.h and then
qemu-types.h which looks like this:

#ifdef TARGET_ABI32
typedef uint32_t abi_ulong;
#else
typedef target_ulong abi_ulong;
#endif

and then qemu.h defines the structures that cause trouble.

Laurent