qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Combining "loadvm" and "-snapshot"

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Combining "loadvm" and "-snapshot"
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:12:36 +0100

Stephen McCamant schrieb:
> I've tried implementing an alternate approach that makes "loadvm" work
> under "-snapshot" by finding and loading the VM state from the backing
> image, if a snapshot with that name isn't found in the scratch image.
> In some preliminary testing, this seems to do what I want; you can
> also make new snapshots with savevm that live only in the scratch
> image (and so go away at the end of the session).

I think, this is the point where your approach will break. A snapshot in
the scratch image is still based on a snapshot in the backing image. So
on loading the scratch snapshot you would also need to load the snapshot
for the backing file. However, you don't know which one because qcow2
can't save a snapshot name for the backing file.

Kevin