qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: A new direction for vmchannel?

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: A new direction for vmchannel?
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 12:47:16 -0600

Gleb Natapov wrote:
On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 11:52:06AM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
For use cases where you are exposing metadata from the host to the guest
this would be a very convenient approach indeed. As asked elsewhere in this
thread, my main thought would be about how well it suits a application that
wants a generic stream based connection between host & guest ? Efficient integration into a poll(2) based event loop would be key to that.
You mean for a very large number of files (determining which property has changed?).

I think what Daniel means is that for file to have stream semantic it is
not enough to ignore offset on read/write, but poll also should behave
similar to how it behaves with char device fd. With regular files poll
will always report that fd is ready for I/O.

I'm not really sure, but given the 9P protocol, I suspect it would have to. Eric?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

--
                        Gleb.