qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] HPPA emulation status and perspectives

From: Jan Kiszka
Subject: [Qemu-devel] HPPA emulation status and perspectives
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 18:58:45 +0100

Hi Stuart,

a customer approached me with the question if QEMU could help him
evacuating his HP-UX applications onto an x86 platform. They are using
QEMU(/KVM) already and are very happy with it - and they obviously found
your hppa-qemu project.

To give you an impression of the involved platforms, here is the list of
variants that are in use so far:

OS version B.10.20:
 - HP 9000/856/E55 - 96 Mhz
 - HP 9000/715/E - 100 Mhz
 - HP 9000/778/B160L - 160 Mhz
 - HP 9000/785/C3000 - 400 Mhz

OS version B.11.11:
 - HP 9000/785/B2000 - 400 Mhz
 - HP 9000/785/C3000 - 400 Mhz
 - HP 9000/785/B2600 - 500 Mhz
 - HP 9000/785/C3600 - 552 Mhz
 - HP 9000/785/C3700 - 750 Mhz

I'm wondering ATM (and I have to check this with the customer next) if
applications might be migratable onto one reference platform so that one
could focus the emulation effort on that, either at system or OS level.

My question to you is now what the status and plans of hppa-qemu are.
hppa-linux-user seems to build, but you say quite some effort is still
required to get to some hppa-hpux-user (or so). How much? Or would it be
simpler to create some hppa-softmmu? Any thoughts on this would be very
appreciated! Note that, provided the efforts are not in the dimension of
man-decades, sponsoring the development is said to be feasible.

Thanks in advance,
Jan