qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How linux kernel is directly loaded?

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How linux kernel is directly loaded?
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 13:36:29 -0600

Thakur wrote:
Hi,

I was searching for code in qemu which is directly able to load linux
kernel with -k option. Which file implements it? Can someone point me to
location where this load process is described? My objective is to load
the Minix kernel in same fashion.

It's different for every architecture but since you're interested in Minix, I assume you're interested in x86.

The important bits are in hw/pc.c:load_linux().

Currently, the way this is implemented is by loading the kernel into memory and creating a tiny option rom that hijacks int19. int19 is the BIOS boot interrupt so this allows us to run our own tiny boot loader that loads the kernel that we previously loaded into memory.

Depending on how different the Minix boot protocol is, it should be relatively easy to adapt.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Thanks

Best Regards