qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cutting a new QEMU release

From: Laurent Desnogues
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cutting a new QEMU release
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 23:05:14 +0100

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 10:50 PM, Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> wrote:
> Laurent Desnogues wrote:
[...]
>> So am I, but who will test user mode and more generally (user and system)
>> what is the test procedure?
>>

> I'd like to approach this gently.  Historically, there's been no formal
> release process.  I'm not inclined to start out by introducing any sort of
> heavy weight procedure.

Don't take me wrong, I am not for formal processes at all :)  I just want
to be sure user mode won't be forgotten due to the lack of a maintainer.

> I'll poke things as best I can over the next couple weeks.  I encourage
> everyone else to do the same.  I'll keep track of what's working and what's
> broken and make it available publicly.  At some point, we can decide as if
> things are too embarrassing to release or not :-)

I intend on testing various things on my side too.  Be sure I'll let you
know of problems and also will provide patches.

>> For instance someone (Andzrej?) mentionned  ARM in system mode is half
>> slower than it was before TCG.  Also the ARM target needs some fixing.
>>
>> Perhaps doing at least one release candidate to get feedback (and focus on
>> fixing reported bugs) would be appropriate.
>>

> A release doesn't have to be perfect to be useful.  I think what matters
> most is whether something is likely to be fixed in the reasonably near
> future.  We're going to have some regressions compared to 0.9.1.  There are
> a number of platforms that are no longer supported (ia64 and s390, for
> instance) but we could wait another year and I doubt these features would
> appear.

I agree we should not care now about targets that are not here anymore.
But things that are important for the community should be taken with
care (and arm linux user mode is certainly a very important target).

Laurent