qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [BUG] Regression in networking code (SIGSEGV)

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [BUG] Regression in networking code (SIGSEGV)
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 13:01:36 +0100

Gleb Natapov schrieb:
> On Sun, Feb 01, 2009 at 09:11:59PM +0100, Stefan Weil wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Up to now, I could not get the crash with i386 guests, but I don't
>> think it
>> depends on the guest because all guests share the same binary code of
>> slirp.
>>
>> It does depend on the kind and on the amount of network
>> data, because it is triggered only by fragmented packets (see stack in
>> my first mail).
>> Please note that you have to compile without optimization in order to
>> see the
>> full stack, because ip_reass is normally inlined by the compiler.
>>
> Can you catch the traffic with tcpdump in a way suitable for tcpreplay
> and send it to me (or make it available for download)?
>
> --
> Gleb.

Hi,

of course. But I found a simple way to reproduce the bug, so I think
this new way is simpler to handle than tcpreplay:

Host: amd64, debian 5.0 (I think others will do, too)
Guest: i686, debian 4.0 (I think others will do, too)

The host must export an NFS filesystem (/tftpboot in my tests).
The guest must be able to mount this NFS filesystem using special options.

Start the guest (hda.img contains a minimal debian 4.0 installation):
$ i386-softmmu/qemu -m 512 -hda ~/hda.img

Mount host NFS on guest:
$ mount 10.0.2.2:/tftpboot /mnt -o
proto=udp,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,nointr,nolock,nfsvers=2

Copy files from host NFS to host NFS on guest:
$ cp /mnt/malta-le/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.8 /mnt/malta-le/tmp

In my tests, the file to copy has 1164392 bytes, the guest creates
the destination file with 0 bytes and crashs.

The NFS mount options are identical to the options used by Linux NFS root
but different to those used by default. With default NFS options, there
is no crash,
so this explains why I get crashs in my NFS root tests but had difficulties
to get a crash with other network operations.
I know that proto=udp is important but did not check many other
combinations.

With malta and other mips guests, the crash can be reproduced in the
same way,
so I am now fairly sure that any guest (on any host) will crash like this.

Regards
Stefan