qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Cutting a new QEMU release

From: Steve Fosdick
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Cutting a new QEMU release
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 10:54:36 +0000

On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 13:03 -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:

> Personally, I'd prefer that it lived outside of the QEMU tree.  It is
> never going to go into upstream Linux and it's not something that I
> think is worth supporting.

Does anyone here have any stats on what people are using QEMU for?

I ask this because I suspect a significant use case is running an x86
guest on an x86 host and, at the moment, the only way to get reasonable
performance on a non virtualisation-enhanced CPU seems to be to use
kqmeu.

Now, I can understand the developers of kvm only supporting the
virtualisation-enhanced CPUs because, looking to the future they will be
common.  I suspect at the moment though there are plenty of people
running VMs on older hardware.

I can also see that if it would take major refactoring to get kqemu into
the main kernal tree it is probably not worth the efforts as, by the
time that work is complete the ratio virtualisation-enhanced CPUs to
older, non virtualisation-enhanced CPUs would be higher.

To my mind mind, what would be good right now is if someone (or some
people) understands kqemu well enough that, if kernel changes break it,
it can be fixed, not forever but until more people have
virtualisation-enhanced CPUs and can use KVM instead.

Regards,
Steve.