qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Cutting a new QEMU release

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Cutting a new QEMU release
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 16:39:51 +0000

Steve Fosdick wrote:
> Now, I can understand the developers of kvm only supporting the
> virtualisation-enhanced CPUs because, looking to the future they will be
> common.  I suspect at the moment though there are plenty of people
> running VMs on older hardware.

In a couple of brief threads before, it was made fairly clear that kvm
developers believe CPUs without the virtualisation feature are
essentially obsolete, not just non-current.

I sympathise with that view, now that my laptop has the feature :-)

But it does seem harsh, a rather sudden cut-off point as it was only a
few years ago that the virtualisation feature was not common, and it's
still not available on all x86s.

-- Jamie