qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: ACPI weirdness with SVN head

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: ACPI weirdness with SVN head
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 08:41:54 -0600

Jan Kiszka wrote:
Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

Is this a known problem?
More info. If I disable ACPI with -no-acpi the VM boots but
 then chews up far more of the host CPU than previously. The
only real explanation I can find for this on the guest side
is a very high number of timer interrupts:

guest > cat /proc/interrupts CPU0 0: 2575369 XT-PIC-XT timer
      1:          9    XT-PIC-XT        i8042
      2:          0    XT-PIC-XT        cascade
      4:        536    XT-PIC-XT        serial
      8:          0    XT-PIC-XT        rtc0
      9:          0    XT-PIC-XT        virtio0
     11:        202    XT-PIC-XT        virtio1, eth0
     12:        111    XT-PIC-XT        i8042
     14:       4176    XT-PIC-XT        ata_piix
     15:       3676    XT-PIC-XT        ata_piix
    NMI:          0   Non-maskable interrupts
    LOC:          0   Local timer interrupts
    RES:          0   Rescheduling interrupts
    CAL:          0   function call interrupts
    TLB:          0   TLB shootdowns
    TRM:          0   Thermal event interrupts
    THR:          0   Threshold APIC interrupts
    SPU:          0   Spurious interrupts
    ERR:          0

Cheers,
Erik

I stumbled over the same problem with one of my Linux guests [1], but as
the one that locked up was built without CONFIG_ACPI, I concluded that
this is the problem (it missed that pin1 became 2, just like your guest
does). Have you updated your BIOS image?

This error happens if you're using an older version of the BIOS.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Jan

[1] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.qemu/37767