qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [Patch] Add -net dump option

From: Tristan Gingold
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [Patch] Add -net dump option
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 12:01:46 +0100

On Feb 7, 2009, at 5:09 AM, Luca Bigliardi wrote:

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Tristan Gingold wrote:

Hi,

Hi Tristan,

this patch add a new network pseudo nic that dump traffic to a tcpdump compatible file. I have found this feature useful to debug network protocols
with the user stack.

I don't know if it entirely fits your needs, but qemu already has vde
support, and vde has a pcap plugin to dump or monitor frames sent through
the switch:
http://wiki.virtualsquare.org/index.php/VDE_Basic_Networking#Dump_or_Monitor_switch_traffic

Thank you for the tip but it looks like vde runs only on Linux (?) and is much more complex to set up than just having a new option. I have the '-net dump' mostly to debug network setup and therefore I prefer
the simplest methods.

Tristan.