qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Machine description as data

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Machine description as data
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 12:50:28 -0600

On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 16:40 +0100, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> [...]
>    task, its choice looks like detail to me, but I'm biased ;)
>
>    Writing the data could be useful for debugging.
>
> D. Command line options to modify the configuration tree
>
>    If we want them.
>
> E. Make legacy command line modify the configuration tree
>
>    For compatibility.  This is my "favourite" part.
>
> We need to start with A.  The other tasks are largely independent.
>
> What I've already done
> ----------------------
>
> Show me the code, they say.  Find attached a working prototype of step
> A.  It passes the "Linux boots" test for me.  I didn't bother to rebase
> to current HEAD, happy do to that on request.
>
> Instead of hacking up machine "pc", I created a new machine "pcdt".  I
> took a number of shortcuts:
>
> * I put the "pcdt" code into the new file dt.c, and copied code from
>   pc.c there.  I could have avoided that by putting my code in pc.c
>   instead.  Putting it in a new file helped me pick apart the pc.c
>   hairball.  To be cleaned up.
>
> * I copied code from net.c.  Trivial to fix, just give it external
>   linkage there.
>
> * I hard-coded the configuration tree in the wrong place (tree.c), out of
>   laziness.
>
> * I didn't implement all the devices of the "pc" original.  The devices
>   I implemented might not support all existing command line options.
>
> Notable qualities:
>
> * Device drivers are cleanly separated from each other, and from the
>   device-agnostic configuration code.
>
> * Each driver specifies the configurable properties in a single place.
>
> * Device configuration is gotten from the configuration tree, which is
>   fully checked.  Unknown properties are rejected.
>

> Appendix: Linux device trees
> ----------------------------
>
> This appendix is probably only of interest to some of you, feel free to
> skip.
>
> The IEEE 1275 Open Firmware Device Tree solves a somewhat similar
> problem, namely to communicate environmental information (hardware and
> configuration) from firmware to operating system.  It's chiefly used on
> PowerPCs.  The OS calls Open Firmware to query the device tree.
>
> Linux turns the Open Firmware device tree API into a data format.
> Actually two: the DT blob format is a binary data structure, and the
> DT source format is human-readable text.  The device tree compiler
> "dtc" can convert the two.
>
> We already have a bit of code dealing with this, in device_tree.c.
>
> I briefly examined the DT source format and the tree structure it
> describes for the purpose of QEMU configuration.  I decided against
> using it in my prototype because I found it awfully low-level and
> verbose for that purpose (I'm sure it serves the purpose it was designed
> for just fine).  Issues include:
>
> * Since the DT is designed for booting kernels, not configuring QEMU,
>   there's information that has no place in QEMU configuration, and
>   required QEMU configuration isn't there.

What's needed is a "binding" in IEEE1275-speak: a document that
describes qemu-specific nodes/properties and how they are to be
interpreted.

As an example, you could require that block devices contain properties
named "qemu,path", "qemu,backend", etc.

> * Redundancy between node name and its device_type property.
>
> * Property "reg", which encodes address ranges, does so in terms of
>   "cells": #address-cells 32-bit words (big endian) for the address,
>   followed by #size-cells words for the size, where #address-cells and
>   #size-cells are properties of the enclosing bus.  If this sounds
>   like gibberish to you, well, that's my point.

I'm CCing devicetree-discuss for broader discussion.

I won't say IEEE1275 is perfect, but IMHO it would be pretty silly to
reinvent all the design and infrastructure for a similar-but-different
device tree.

[Patch snipped]

--
Hollis Blanchard