qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] migration: adding migration to/from a file (v2)

From: Uri Lublin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] migration: adding migration to/from a file (v2)
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 22:45:21 +0200

Anthony Liguori wrote:
Uri Lublin wrote:
Anthony Liguori wrote:
Uri Lublin wrote:
Anthony Liguori wrote:
Uri Lublin wrote:

Migration to file, uses migration-to-fd (supports live migration).
Migration from file, uses qemu-fopen directly.

Eh? Haven't we already talked about why this doesn't work? Maybe there's a v3 that you meant to send?

Actually I do have a v3 which uses posix-aio-compat.c
It's a much more complicated solution then just writing to a file though. Also I am not sure if I need to use a signal or not as the migration (to-fd) code is polling. And if I use signal should I use SIGUSR2 or a different one and use a pipe similar to block-raw-posix.c ?

How is the migration code polling? It will attempt to do writes until a write returns EAGAIN. At this point, it will wait for notification that the more writes are available. Remember, migration is a streaming protocol, not a random access, so it only makes sense to have one outstanding request at a time.

Your code would look something like:

write() -> submit aio request
until aio completes, write returns EAGAIN
when aio completes, notify migration code that we are writable again

Basically that's what I've done in my v3.
But since I fake EAGAIN, and the fd is writeable by select, the scenario is as follows:

Oh, yes, this is a problem. You cannot use the existing migrate_fd code unfortunately :-(

Or maybe you can. If you change all instances of qemu_set_fd_handler2() in migrate.c (in the migrate_fd_ routines) to basically, s->set_fd_handler(), you can introduce a simple wrapper that calls qemu_set_fd_handler2() for everything else, but for yourself, use it as a mechanism to keep track of what the "writable" callback should be. This is the callback you would invoke when the aio request completes.

So it looks simpler to just (v4 implementation) spawn a single writing thread, and use a pipe to "connect" it to the migration code (as the pipe supports non-blocking write).

Would that be acceptable, or you prefer I'll implement s->set_fd_handler() ?
In that case will need another thread and pipe for compatfd (qemu_signalfd), and allocate a buffer to hold the data until it's written (as the original buffer may change).

Thanks,
    Uri.