qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Qemu 2D performance plunges below acceptable levels

From: Stefano Stabellini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Qemu 2D performance plunges below acceptable levels
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 17:01:49 +0000

Paul Brook wrote:

>>      SDL_BlitSurface(guest_screen, &rec, real_screen, &rec);
>> -    SDL_UpdateRect(real_screen, x, y, w, h);
>> +    SDL_UpdateRects(real_screen, 1, &rec);
>
> Have you actually tried this? I'd be amazed and dismayed if it made any
> difference. I can believe that SDL_UpdateRects is better that *multiple*
> calls to SDL_UpdateRect. However I see absolutely no justification for this
> change.

Of course I didn't: I don't have any MacOSX available and this is the
main reason I am asking other people to test this patch and doing it myself.

>From the documentation I thought they were implemented differently
somehow but now that you make me think about it I went through the
actual code and SDL_UpdateRect is implemented using SDL_UpdateRects :(

Also I don't how to explain the fact that SDL_Flip is faster than
SDL_UpdateRect on MacOSX according to malc: the same libsdl macosx faq I
 linked before claims that SDL_DOUBLEBUF is not even supported on MacOsX.