qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Hardware watchdogs (patch for discussion only)

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Hardware watchdogs (patch for discussion only)
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 17:50:25 +0000

Steve Fosdick wrote:
> Perhaps we could have a second timer such that if, on asking the guest
> to shut down via ACPI, the guest does not respond within a certain time
> limit with an ACPI request to turn the power off we go for one of the
> other options below?

Good idea.  ACPI is notoriously flaky, especially on a guest which has
already crashed its kernel...

> 1. Ensure continuity of service.  When a guest OS gets stuck for some
> reason make sure it is re-started.  This is probably the only use case
> on a real physical machine.

For real continuity of service you'd also want QEMU itself to have a
watchdog.  Either a software watchdog internally (SIGALRM => kill/exec
self, or child process expecting regular pings over a pipe), or by
QEMU itself becoming a client of the host watchdog.

I say this because I've experienced KVM lock up several times.

> 2. Limit the resource consumption of a crashed guest when the host
> serves other guests.  This probably only of concern for virtual
> machines, i.e. it is specific to the emulated watchdog and its
> interaction with qemu rather than being part of how a physical watchdog
> works.

Related to this is "omg the database guest has crashed - and frankly
we don't rtust the automatic recovery process - stop it for now and
we'll inspect for damage manually before starting it again".

> Do we want to offer the guest the option of a clean shutdown if it can
> still manage that and then reboot, i.e. the shutdown option but for use
> case 1?
>
> If so we need to be able to turn the APCI power off request into a reset
> instead.  We already have the -no-reboot option to turn a reboot into a
> power off - this is the opposite.

Interesting idea.

> In fact, some people may find that option useful anyway even without the
> watchdog.  In an environment where someone has privileged access to a
> guest but no direct access to the host OS he could shut down a guest
> accidentally when intending to reboot (or logoff).  It may be useful to
> trap that and turn the shutdown into a reboot.

I've done that a few times.  It's only minorly annoying in that you
lose the VNC connection and have to login and restart the VM.

Side notes: It would be nice to be able to change the
"shutdown-when-asked-to-reboot" (et al) option from the monitor.  It
would also be nice to "pause-when-asked-to-shutdown/reboot", which is
useful during automatic OS installs - the host script changes the
media and/or hardware at each reboot.

-- Jamie