qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] virtio-blk issues

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] virtio-blk issues
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 15:22:24 +0200

Paul Brook wrote:
On Tuesday 03 March 2009, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
I've been trying to move setup from kvm 72 in debian testing to the current
qemu CVS.  The setup is using 7 virtio_blk disks and used to work on the
old setup, but with current qemu the kernel (current Linus' HEAD from a few
days ago) hangs when trying to setup the irq routing for the virtio_pci
devices:

virtio pci 0000:00:06.0: can't derive routing for PCI INT A
virtio pci 0000:00:06.0: PCI INT A: no GSI - using IRQ 9

IIRC this is partly a bios issue. Real PIIX3 based systems never have more than ~5 PCI slots, so it doesn't have interrupt routing for more devices.

There are two solutions: Fix the bios to handle machines with large numbers of PCI slots, or have create multifunction PCI devices so lots of virtio instances don't use so many virtual PCI slots.

The kvm bios supports 32 slots; I don't know if upstream bochs picked up these changes.

In any case I'd like to see a virtio-blk controller which can support an arbitrary number of disks, much like a SCSI controller. A pci slot or function per disk is wasteful.