qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: 440 emulation?

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: 440 emulation?
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 14:15:06 -0500

On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 14:05 -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> I'm trying to come up with a working 440 toolchain and root filesystem, and I
> think I've built one (--with-cpu=440 for the binutils and gcc config seems to
> be the magic), but my attempt to test it under qemu with -M bamboo led to an
> "Unable to initialize CPU" message, because apparently the 440 isn't actually
> supported.

Correct, 440 is not supported by TCG, so I'm not sure what you're trying
to do?

> I tried feeding in "-cpu 405" in hopes of getting something to at least
> launch
> (that's what the source code does when it's using kvm, anyway), but it still
> said it couldn't initialize the cpu.

As you can see from quick inspection, none of the code involved pays any
attention to your -cpu option. If you want to make that work, it should
simply be a matter of plumbing 'cpu_model' through ppc440ep_init().

> Presumably this works for somebody, but I dunno how to get it to do anything
> interesting.  What is the status of the bamboo board?

It works, as long as you can provide working core emulation.

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center