qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] branches are expensive

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] branches are expensive
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 13:18:20 +0200

Steffen Liebergeld wrote:
Hi,

while measuring the execution of an ARM guest, I encountered that branches are
extremely expensive in terms of executed host instructions. A single ARM
branch takes 148 to 152 host instructions. In my setup host and guest use the
ARM instruction set architecture.

My question is what makes branches so expensive? What code is run when
executing a branch? Other instructions are translated to 14 to 40
instructions.

I'm no tcg guru, but if branches are not chained, you'd need an expensive lookup to find the next translation block. If branches are chained they'll probably be much faster.