qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] branches are expensive

From: Laurent Desnogues
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] branches are expensive
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 14:30:09 +0100

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Steffen Liebergeld <address@hidden> wrote:

> while measuring the execution of an ARM guest, I encountered that branches are
> extremely expensive in terms of executed host instructions. A single ARM
> branch takes 148 to 152 host instructions. In my setup host and guest use the
> ARM instruction set architecture.
>
> My question is what makes branches so expensive? What code is run when
> executing a branch? Other instructions are translated to 14 to 40
> instructions.

This raises a few questions:

1. are you talking of qemu system or qemu user (I guess the former)?
2. how did you measure executed host instructions?
3. what is your host processor?

My experience on TB for qemu user is about x7 code *size*
expansion on a x86_64 (though svn qemu is probably higher
as I have a few specific tunings).

Laurent