qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] XP guest specifics

From: Luca Tettamanti
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] XP guest specifics
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 22:58:28 +0100

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Allen Meyers <address@hidden> wrote:
> While instructions below are as specific as I have encountered would
> appreciate someone helping a 77 year old with comprehension challenges. I
> have a dual boot Debian Lenny and Ubuntu 8.10 no windows, but a legal disk
> XP.
>
> Install QEMU:
> apt-get install qemu The terminal command is self explanatory

Yes, this will install qemu and its dependencies.

> Create a (resizable) image which will hold Windows XP. The installer chokes
> if the image is smaller than 1.2 GB or so, but that's not too much of a
> problem; the "qcow" image format will only take up as much space as is
> really needed, so the image will be very small in the beginning (not 1.2 GB
> big!).
> qemu-img create -f qcow /path/to/xp.cow 1300M
> I need specifics here is this the second terminal command?

Not really, any terminal will do - after you have installed qemu of
course ;-) 1.3G seems a bit small though, especially if you want to
actually install something on WinXP. I'd go for at least 10G:

qemu-img create -f qcow /path/to/xp.cow 10G

> Insert the install CD, and install Windows in the QEMU image:
> qemu -hda /path/to/xp.cow -boot d -cdrom /dev/cdrom -m 384 -localtime
> I assume this is path or location within the image the terminal command
> created, but when CD is inserted is it directed there or what is it I must
> do?

/dev/cdrom is usually a link to (block device of) the first optical
unit in the system, so you just insert the disk in the first drive and
it should work fine.

> Wait.
> After the install has finished, shut down the QEMU/Windows; from now on you
> can boot it (without having to insert the CD anymore) with:
> qemu -hda /path/to/xp.cow -boot c -m 384 -localtime -k de -usb

Note here "-k de", it sets the keyboard layout to German (which might
not be what you want).

Luca
PS: Please do *not* send HTML mails.