qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] r6677 broke access to physical FDD on Win32

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] r6677 broke access to physical FDD on Win32
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 17:01:36 -0500

Robert Riebisch wrote:
Hi!

If I run QEMU on Win32 with option "-fda a:", then I'm unable to access
physical floppies from guest OS. "Physical" also includes virtual drives
created by <http://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/vfd.html>.

I'm also unable to boot such floppies ("-boot a"). Error message is:
"Boot failed: not a bootable floppy disk"

By doing some builds I narrowed the problem down to
<http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc?view=rev&root=qemu&revision=6677> by
Anthony Liguori.

I suspect this code:

block-raw-win32.c:raw_getlength():

   case FTYPE_HARDDISK:
       status = DeviceIoControl(s->hfile, IOCTL_DISK_GET_DRIVE_GEOMETRY_EX,
                                NULL, 0, &dg, sizeof(dg), &count, NULL);
       if (status != 0) {
           l = dg.DiskSize;
       }
       break;

Is not doing the correct thing.

Looking at the code, perhaps you should be saying -fda //./a. I don't know a lot about windows but that sure does look weird to me.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Robert Riebisch