qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] svn 6658 broke powerpc.

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] svn 6658 broke powerpc.
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 13:44:54 -0500

On Saturday 21 March 2009 04:32:30 Blue Swirl wrote:
> I accidentally (by using a wrong variable in a more complex patch)
> found out a workaround for the bug, now -nographic boot works. But
> still the other nodes have the same problem as before and the
> workaround removes the "reg" node which is present on real tree.
>
> Now the escc node doesn't have the address appended:
> 1bfac /address@hidden/address@hidden/address@hidden (nvram)
> 1c1c0 /address@hidden/address@hidden/escc (escc)
> 1c2ac /address@hidden/address@hidden/escc/address@hidden (serial)
> 1c52c /address@hidden/address@hidden/escc/address@hidden (serial)
>
> Maybe nodes under /pci/mac-io should use custom
> encode-unit/decode-unit methods instead of PCI ones?

My workaround at this end is to just revert openbios-ppc to the earlier
version.

I still think that bisecting to find the specific commit that broke it would
be informative, but your repository's move to /trunk at commit 470 essentially
wiped all repository history before that.  Your development page doesn't say
how to download the old versions, just the ones under "trunk":

  http://www.openfirmware.info/OpenBIOS

Nor does your repository viewer view anything before 470 from the little pull-
down menu:
http://tracker.coreboot.org/trac/openbios/browser/trunk/openbios-devel?rev=470
http://tracker.coreboot.org/trac/openbios/browser/trunk/openbios-devel?rev=469

I guessed how to get the repository viewer to show me the earlier versions:

  http://tracker.coreboot.org/trac/openbios/browser/openbios-devel?rev=469

But this doesn't work:

  $ svn co -r 469 svn://openbios.org/openbios/openbios-devel
  svn: File not found: revision 480, path '/openbios-devel'

Then again, I can always bisect by downloading tarballs from your repository
viewer...  Eh, why not.

For easy cut and pasting, my build reproduction sequence is:

  chmod +x config/scripts/switch-arch
  config/scripts/switch-arch cross-ppc
  PATH=~/firmware/firmware/build/cross-compiler-powerpc/bin:$PATH \
    make TARGET=powerpc-
  sudo cp obj-ppc/openbios-qemu.elf /usr/local/share/qemu/openbios-ppc

469 exhibits the bug, so it's before that.  I believe 450 is the "known good"
version, so let's try 460...  Bug.  455... Bug. 452... Bug.  451... Works.

So the bug was introduced (or at least triggered) by revision 452:

  http://tracker.coreboot.org/trac/openbios/changeset/452/openbios-devel

Anything in there look broken to you?

Rob

P.S.  Please at least put up a link to this on your development page:

  http://tracker.coreboot.org/trac/openbios/browser/openbios-devel?rev=469

Right now earlier versions of your repository are completely inaccessible to
newbies like me...