qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Kernel core dumps from qemu

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Kernel core dumps from qemu
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:41:17 +0200

Chris Smith wrote:
On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 08:08:38PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:

I'd suggest a 'format' argument, so we can extend this later to dump
in non-ELF formats (the Windows native memory dump format would be
useful).

No problem.  I was thinking of something similar --

    (qemu) dump | winfmt > win.dmp

or

    (qemu) dump | /usr/bin/gdbfmt > just.like.vmcore

or

    (qemu) dump > raw.elf            [normal case for crash utility]

with qemu providing a dump primitive (just the data) to be dressed up
by tools distributed with qemu, or contributed, or home grown.

The | and > are just to be explicit, it could be prettier.

I suggest 'dump -filter ... blah'. I guess for larger cores this is better than postprocessing, if it can be done without buffering all of RAM.