qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Introduce module API to QEMU

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Introduce module API to QEMU
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 07:59:00 -0500

malc wrote:
4.1.2 comes from C90

C99 would be a more reasonable thing to quote from since it updates C89.

So this is exactly the sort of thing that the standard is there to protect :-)

No. Those are reserved for _any_ use. For example, 6.2.5 states:

     31) An implementation may define new keywords that provide
         alternative ways to designate  a  basic  (or  any  other)
         type;  this does not violate the requirement that all
         basic   types   be   different.    Implementation-defined
         keywords  shall  have  the form of an identifier reserved
         for any use as described in 7.1.3.

I still think you're missing the fact that this is a variable that's provided by the compiler. It's a GCC extension in the same way __attribute__ is. The reason we have to declare the variables is because it's actually provided by the linker so GCC the front-end has no knowledge of these variables existence.

This isn't standard C99 but it certainly doesn't violate C99 either.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori