qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Introduce module API to QEMU

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Introduce module API to QEMU
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 09:10:27 -0500

Paul Brook wrote:
On Friday 03 April 2009, Anthony Liguori wrote:
Paul Brook wrote:
This patch introduces a module API similar to what's in the Linux
kernel. This includes module_init/module_exit functions that register
functions that are run at init and exit respectively.
Wouldn't it be much simpler to just have a list of device names, and
assume the each device is implemented in $devicename., and provides
$devicename_register ?

It's then an extremely simple shell script to collate and call these.
It doesn't generalize very well.  For instance, the VNC server is not a
device but it needs to be able to register as a DisplayState backend.

Hmm, this raises annother issue - we've got to be extremely careful about ordering. It's not inconcievable that the PCI support code would have constructors (e.g. to register a PCI bus type).

That's one reason I started with section instead of constructor. You can control when you initialize with section which means you could have multiple types of constructors that allowed some form of ordering. Linux allows this via various *_initcall() methods.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Paul